Sunday 28 October 2007

Christmas Boxes

For a couple of weeks now my house been in a production line of Christmas boxes. You see after a very pleasant meal and a couple of glasses of wine I got into conversation with a dynamo of a woman who every year organises a local push for the Operation Christmas Child campaign. She was bemoaning the fact that this year she had lost one of her 'wrapping ladies.' Well feeling very mellow (after the aforesaid meal) I said - 'Oh I can wrap a few boxes for you' - AAArgh! This woman is wonderful but relentless! I have lost count of the boxes I have wrapped but I keep getting a bin liner of new ones to do every few days!! Even so I am sure I am not doing an adequate amount, there were 1090 filled last year!


Operation Christmas Child is a very worthwhile cause. My two daughters have for years filled one every year, just to reinforce the true spirit of Christmas. I am sure everyone has heard of it by now -http://www.samaritanspurse.uk.com/ there is a page on the site that takes you to knitting patterns for beanies and puppets. I think I will do a few throughout the year next year so that I have a 'stock' done in time. Goodness knows I have enough spare balls of wool and oddments.

The only other thing of note around here is that I have been painting the front lawn! Actually its the colour of our downstairs loo - but I only used it to mark out where we are going to make new beds. We have decided that the front lawn has to go. For one thing it is a pain getting the mower round to the front all the time, and also we are cutting down on electricity usage. There will be four corner beds, a central circle and gravel paths inbetween.

Thank you to those who kindly left encouraging comments about my eldest leaving home. I am pleased to say she is doing very well, cooking lots of nourishing and frugal meals and studying hard already. She is coming home for Armistice weekend, she said she couldn't not go to the memorial with her dad. Awwwww!



8 comments:

  1. Well I was just thinking today that you hadn't posted for a while and here you are posting. You've got a very good excuse...mind you over 1,000 boxes last year, hope you don't have to wrap that many!
    I'm pleased to hear your daughter is doing well, it must make you very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, you're back! And what a sweetie your daughter must be -- glad to hear she's doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very glad to see you are back! It looks like your wrapping job is keeping you very busy ~ how kind of you to do it.
    Hope you have a wonderful visit when your daughter come home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to hear from you. Hope life without your daughter is okay, sounds like you're being kept very busy!!! Good luck with all those boxes
    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  5. A busy little wrapping bumble bee! How sweet of you to volunteer, and the packages look beautiful... So glad to hear your daughter is doing well and will be visiting... You have a wonderful rest of the week.

    Smiles...

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cause we used to do the boxes when the kids were younger, maybe something we should do again this year. Not maybe definetly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you aren't buried under a mountain of boxes - it's a worthwhile cause anyway.
    Interesting that you have painted your lawn - that's certainly original:) The winter flower pot looks lovely, pansies are such pretty flowers and surprisingly hardy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely pot by your front door, if you have time please pop over to my other blog which is garden orientated, my this month's poll is to choose your favourite winter bedding plant out of 4 options, I think by your pot I already know the answer! Louise x

    ReplyDelete