Tuesday 15 July 2008

Second daughter played with her camera today and took these artistic shots.

Clever hen - chewing



And the other two!

They enjoy our company more than anything else, and certainly more than our Marrans did. They are Warrens and we have the three, which I thought would be enough for our needs. They have today each laid an egg for the first time. Second daughter has an affinity with them for some reason, going as far as to proclaim herself 'the hen whisperer'.!!!

We only have a small lawn to keep them on but so far it has not been trashed, we move the ark everyday. I decided on the Boughton Ark from Forsham Cottage Arks - this one:-

http://www.forshamcottagearks.com/poultry-housing/cat-prod-boughton-chicken-housing.htm

It's swish hen housing, a bit pricey but very good.






6 comments:

  1. We're hen-sitting at the moment, a friend is away on holiday so Husband is taking care of them, what a delight when he brings home 2 or 3 eggs every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friends neighbour lets me have some of the eggs laid by her Cotswold Legbars. I wish my garden was large enough to accomodate a few hens. You are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an award for you. Please come over and see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love hens again - we had about 50 at one time - Warrens, Black Rocks, Marrans, Silkies and some dolly-mixtures! We had ducks too - 35 at most - and I miss them more than the hens, especially my Muscovies. OH says no to any more though . . . Nice to see yours and they have a very des. res.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have hens too! Well, three hens and a cockerel. The third hen has started laying, so now we get three eggs every day. Luckily I do a lot of baking.

    Anyway, I was just passing by and thought I would say hullo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember when I was a little gir, we had chickens.

    ReplyDelete