Sunday 13 July 2008

I decided to have a blogging break and it lasted a little longer than I had anticipated.



Life carried on, children to see to ~(even though teenagers now they still need parents in so many ways) GCSEs and broken hearts. 86 year old mum to ferry to and from hospital and do things for. Paid work to endure (!) and the endless tasks that go with trying to live a simple life.



Such as:-



Growing flowers - beautiful and productive










Knitting - several things, including trying out the extreme variety





Home entertainment - my beloved Jericho, bought for me by my daughter, using money I had given her to go shopping to treat herself.




More photos of bales!!! Taken by husband just over the road from our house. Spending time in our local environment more as petrol costs rise.




Looking after the tomatoes in the greenhouse, polytunnel, veg patch and dotted in and amongst the flower beds. I have never seen so many flowers on my tomato plants before. I am feeding them with Black Jack which is a labour of love as the smell is foul!



Picking fruit, fruit and more fruit. I labelled my jam this morning and have so far made 28lbs this year. It is stored away in a spare coolbox at the back of the pantry, for judicious use over the coming year.



Strawberry jam - my favourite.


Learning to make sausages, this being our first attempt. Plain pork are these but the next will be spiced. This was soooo much fun too, a very good, fun and cheap evening entertainment.



Getting my Warrens, they were bought 4 weeks ago as POLs and this morning one of them laid an egg! They are much smaller than my Marans were and are VERY tame. They have the run of the garden some of each day but spend most of that time trying to get into the house whenever the door is left open.



I have also spent alot of time researching on the internet and reading of text books. I do not like the way that the economic situation is playing out one little bit. I know there have always been economic downturns and cycles but this time it feels different. I read somewhere that this is not the end of the world, but the end of a world. This feels true to me so I am endeavouring to learn and hone my skills so as to be prepared for what life throws our way.



9 comments:

  1. Welcome back Sandra! I thought you'd gone for good :( so it was a nice surprise to read your post. We've been through GCSEs too and daughter finishing with her first boyfriend which resulted in tears....
    You've been busy I can see, if I had a larger garden I know I'd be growing my own to help the household budget. Mind you I don't know anyone who's made their own sausages, that must have been fun! Nice pictures, thanks for sharing them.
    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back. Your blog was either the first or second I ever read and I always looked forward to reading it immensely, especially as you talk about an area of the country I love. It even inspired me to start blogging! I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Hello Shropshire Girl! I've missed your posts -- so glad you checked in. I fear that you're not alone in those enjoying more local things as costs rise to travel -- I wonder how the tourism industry will fare this summer. And like you, I worry a bit that this downturn feels a bit different. ;-( Lovely Jams!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up the good work - no wonder you fit in so well at CL! I would say your strawberry jam is an award-winning colour - you will have to enter some at your local show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy mo!!!!whats Black Jack?? those tom flowers are STUPENDOUS!!!am green with envy here!!!
    I agree with Jennie your jam is stunning!
    GTM
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful flowers! And love those knitting needles too! I have been doing lots of big needle knitting, and I love it....instant gratification! :o) By the way your strawberry jam looks wonderful! Have a lovely rest of the week!

    Smiles...

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  7. So good to see you back blogging again. Your strawberry jam looks marvellous, I need to get back into jam-making again. Have only just realised that it is you on CL forum:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Sandra,

    So glad to read all that you have been doing. Knitting, raising chickens, gardening ! We live in a suburb now, but I lived in the country for years and did everything you have done EXCEPT the chickens.

    I agree with you and others about this turndown. But being proactive is certainly a solution. I love it !
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back, Sandra! I too wondered if you would be back... and am so glad you are. I've checked in regularly, imagine my surprise just now!

    That jam is so pretty, and very tasty I am sure. Those sausage do not look the attempt of a first timer, they look perfect. Would love the recipe for those and the spicy ones next time. I hope you mom is doing well. And yes, it is amazing the tasks needed to live a simple life. :~)

    ReplyDelete