Saturday 13 September 2008

The Birds and The Bees (Butterflies too!)

Today has been one of those glorious September days, you know the sort I mean, one that is even more precious because the days will soon be short and cold and there is a certain expectation in the air of change to come. I was so pleased to see bees in the garden today, they have been a rare sight this summer.



My buddleia was a busy place today. Unfortunately it has got to go - to make way for more dwarf apple trees. I will be planting another one on the front garden though.








I did title this The Birds and The Bees, so here are Gucci, Chanel and Dior enjoying an afternoon on the lawn, while we took opportunity of the weather to dismantle, clean and overhaul their house.



Tomorrow is forecast to be another fine day so I am going to try and get up to the top of the village where I have spied a Crab Apple tree which is dripping in little golden apples. I look forward to making Crab Apple Jelly, Mint and Apple Jelly and anything else I can think of!

5 comments:

  1. I just now found your blog and I like it. The beautiful images of England the home feeling I have seeing your posts...
    I like everything. I will come back everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wish you lived near me -- I'd give you my crabapples. Is England having the same problem with bees dying off that we have in the US?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning photos; late summer has been good for the butterflies down here too, especially with all teh buddleias in my garden; definitely their favourite.
    I'm lucky enough to have a hive of my own, so quite a few bees about here most days; saw a couple of bumbles on Saturday too, they must have come out to share the lovely weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! My 'butterfly bush' also has attracted many butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds...I am so happy to have planted close to our deck!
    Have a good weekend,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures, and nice that you can get out and about enjoying the late sunshine. I catch a glimpse of the sun while I'm at work and hoping it'll be fine on Sunday so I can grab some rays!

    ReplyDelete