Tuesday 2 September 2008

First of all may I say a big thank you to Teresa at Honeycomb cottage for giving me this award


and also Tracey at funkeymonkey for this one

As far as I can see the rules are the same:-

1. Put the logo on your blog
2. Add a link to the person who awarded you
3. Nominate at least seven other blogs
4. Add links to those blogs
5. Leave a message for your nominees on their blogs.
On Simply Being
A Life Full Of Blessings
Codlins and Cream
faerie nuff
Lucy Locket
Contemplating Change
home matters most

Should any of you ladies not wish to participate that is fine by me, I just wanted you to know that visiting all your blogs is a pleasure. There are many more of course, the world of blogging is such an interesting and inspirational place, and I am thankful to you all.

Now back to photos.

Chatsworth House, the home of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire, it will be more in the public eye as the film The Duchess hits the screens, I am sure it will be a huge success here and across the pond.



The day was beautiful, sunny but not too hot. The interior of the house is magnificent, just as I remembered it from years ago. Being very keen Austen fans we know that this is the house that Pemberley was based on in Pride & Prejudice, we could just imagine the divine Darcy strutting around the place! If any of you have the chance to visit I would urge you to do so, it is one of the finest houses in England.
http://www.chatsworth.org/

This is a photo of the side of the house, unfortunately we couldn't take one of the front, but open the link and take a look at just how impressive the approach is!

DD wanted to visit the Blue John mines, one of the reasons we went to the Peak District, we all duly climbed and trudged down deep into the earth, although many photos were taken only a few came out, and here they are







It was quite an ordeal coming back up from the depths! but apparently it was worth it. This particular hill in the Derbyshire countryside is the only place on earth where Blue John is found. I could only afford a small ring for dd, it is tucked away to be found in her Christmas stocking. Take a look at the website - there is a good little video there.

10 comments:

  1. What great scenery from your trip - thanks for sharing!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the Blue John mines - we took the children there many years back now. I have a Blue John-topped spoon, some earrings and a necklace which we have bought over the years. I didn't get to go down the mines as G was only 18 months old and wriggly!, and we just wandered around outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Thank you SO much for the award but I only just had one of these, so I shall pass this time. It's great to know you enjoy my blog anyway.

    Chatsworth is somewhere I haven't got to yet, but we will visit - eldest daughter is at Uni in Sheffield, so perhaps we'll stop on the way up to her in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    Thanks so much for the award and for introducing me to your blog! Somewhere along the line I think we are kindred spirits! I must show my mom in the states your beautiful blog so she can look at the pics. They are so gorgeous.

    I have had the brillante 2008 award recently and would have given it to the same 7 bloggers, but if you don't mind, I'll mention the I love your blog award on my blog as given by you.

    I shall add your blog to my personal favourites!

    Thanks Sandra!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh the Blue John Caverns!

    I went there with my family as a small child....It was great fun.

    Lovely photos BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are heading to Derbyshire next month on holiday and your photos here have just made the anticipation that much worse, lol!

    I absolutely adore Chatsworth and had just printed off some info on Poole's Cavern before checking my RSS feeds and saw your post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw shucks, thank you so much Sandra, I enjoy your blog too and it's a pleasure to call in for a visit. The Duchess is a film I'll be going to see, if only for the scenery and costumes. One day I'll visit Chatsworth, it's a part of the country I've never visited.
    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chatsworth was a place which I visited on our 'grand tour of England' when I was quite young!
    I remember it well.I can't wait to watch 'The Duchess'.
    We hit Shropshire tomorrow...I booked this to escape the Devon rain yet fear that it'll be coming along with us ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to visit Chatsworth House one day. The past year I discovered my Grandfather worked there as a groom in the 1930's following WWI. What a beautiful house.

    ReplyDelete