Monday 22 September 2008

Bits & Pieces

There has been much talk in blogland about homemade cleaning products. Some talk of being 'greener' and with some it is a cost issue. At the same time though I have read a few bloggers comment that they could not use homemade washing products because they cannot believe it cleans as well as bought box powders, or that they like a fragrance. Well this is what I have used for ages, it's cheaper, convenient - and it works!

The M27 rootstock apple I planted earlier this year has given me 7 apples this year which I am very pleased with, hopefully it will go bananas next year (not literally!) It is 'James Grieves' and a very nice apple to pick of the tree as I walk past.


Last night tea was delayed as I caught a glimpse of a balloon coming very close to the house. We get them all summer but this one was close. The photos are taken after they have skimmed over our house - over the hills and far away.




7 comments:

  1. So far, I've been happy with my homemade cleansers ~ I never did like the overpowering smell of some of the store bought brands.
    Have a great day,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi..we came to Cleobury Mortimer during our Shropshire stay... but there seemed to be a lot of roadworks going on so we had a quick drink in a pub and then went on, over Clee hill...my goodness what views!!! I could not believe it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful view you have from your house - beautiful at any time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What would the combination and amounts of each be to make laundry detergent?

    I have not seen soda crystals here in the US but maybe I could use just baking soda?

    I loved your photos very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Borax is a brilliant product,my Grandmother used to use it to soften the water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Candyce - hi! Soda Crystals are sodium carbonate whilst baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.
    I use four cups of green fairy soap, two cups of soda crystals and two cups of borax all mixed up together. Two large spoons of this mixture then goes straight into the drum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much...now for the green fairy soap. I wonder if it is a bit like Fels naptha.

    I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete