Tuesday 7 October 2008

Autumn is progressing apace, with rain and winds on a regular basis. During a quiet spell we went to collect crab apples from this old tree, it was smothered in apples this year. I made Crab Apple Jelly and Crab Apple & Mint Jelly. I really did not like the latter, the jelly was very perfumed, the mint was too strong I think.

One of the last blooms in the garden, I must look into getting more colour into the garden around the year, it's lovely in the summer but goes over very quickly. I am also in the process (very slowly mind) of digging up the entire lawn, next year will be serious vegetable gardening around here!


It is also that time of year when wrapping the shoeboxes is in full swing. http://www.operationchristmaschild.org.uk/
I try to do a couple in the evening, a very energetic lady collects them and there is a community push to fill as many as possible. I wonder if there will be as many this year whilst people are worrying about their own finances.

Last week I popped into Worcester to get some birthday presents - October is heavy with birthdays in this family! Well I managed to miss my bus, and with an hour to spare I made a bee line for a little quilting shop I know - The Cotton Reel. So anyway, can't get out of there without buying something - no not possible, so here are the stockings I decided to make for the nieces and nephew. I cut them all out last night ready to sew. I shall embroider their names on the top and embellish with ribbons and buttons. Can you see the gorgeous ribbon at the bottom - Love Never Melts. AAaahh! Christmas plans ahead, mincemeat, Christmas cake and more sewing = I really love this time of year.




I have been enjoying this blog very much lately - http://blueberrycottage.blogspot.com/ I'm going to find a Pumpkin to try the Pumpkin Cookies, they sound delicious.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra,
    Thank you for the visit and do try those cookies they are sooo good. Please do link and I'd like to add yours to mine, I have a secret desire to spend some time in the UK when children are bigger. YOu and I both have Christmastide on the brain, what beautiful stockings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're getting a good headstart on Christmas! Love the stockings -- they'll be adorable when you get them all embellished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous stockings! You do seem very well organised!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hullo there! thankyou so much for putting the link to OCC on there,I just watched the video,the little boy called Surprise,bless him x x x & bless the people that helped him x I am too late from the look of it to do a box now but am going to ask folks in the village if they want to all do one next year :o)
    I daftly thought it was only something that schools did?
    GTM x x x x x

    ReplyDelete