Wednesday 20 June 2007

Another Collection

I am sure I am not the only one whose foray into blogging has made them more aware of their surroundings. I am often looking at thinks now from a 'I could blog about that' perspective. It has also made me notice that I have collected things without even realising that that is what I am doing.


I have two daughters, and looking around my house I have realised I have collected 'two girl' ornaments and pictures, here are one or two;

This was a cross stitch which took me two summer holidays to do, at a time when my eldest would take her teddy with her everywhere, I often used to dread the thought of losing it. At 18 it stays under her pillow! but is still there when she needs him, minus one arm rubbed off!

I love this rather large print in our living room. We used to take holidays in a chalet near Minehead and walk on the beach every day. My eldest was very feminine, with skinny legs and a penchant for hats. My youngest was a tomboy who couldn't be bothered with dressing up and had a robust appetite! At 14 she has become as lanky as her sister though. As for mother, well I often have that far away slightly bewildered look in my eye - and my hair is always a mess! Can you tell why I love this picture?

7 comments:

  1. We stayed in a chalet at Blue Anchor - when I was 5! I caught measles while we were there and the holiday was cut short by a day or two. We're talking over 50 years ago though, so I expect the chalets were rather better when you stayed there!
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love your pictures! I should have a collection of two-boy pictures! ;-) And you've reminded me of our very sad teddy story. My oldest lost his teddy when he was around 3. I was distraught. I think I took it harder than he did. He took that teddy everywhere, which is how it was lost. Fortunately, for both boys, I had their pictures taken with their teddies, so at least we have a nice picture of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's funny how collections just seem to happen without being conscious of it. Your pictures are lovely. I vowed when we moved house over three years ago that I wouldn't buy any more stuff, but my little collections seem to grow and grow. Have a great week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She stands there looking out over the hills and thinking... "I hope I turned the oven off before we came out!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet pictures. Great job on the cross stitch, it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm visiting England and staying in north Cumbria. I've been seeing on the news about all the flooding, and they mentioned Shropshire. Just wanted to check and see if you are OK. I hope things are ok in your part of the county.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures are darling! I love the one of the mom with her two girls! I once bought a Victorian print of a little girl sewing her baby brother's torn trousers (while he was still wearing them!)... I bought the print for my infant daughter's room. Three years later, her baby brother came along, so now the print has even more meaning! =)

    ReplyDelete