Saturday 30 June 2007

Rain

My hubby and younger daughter are doing a paper round at the moment - in torrential rain! and my eldest daughter has gone on a post A level camping trip with friends - probably in torrential rain. I cannot make up my mind whether this is stoic undefeated spirit - or just a tad stupid! I meanwhile am in the warm, at the computer with a cup of ovaltine - nice!
The last week has been dreadful. We are very fortunate to be free of flood risk at home, however I work and daughter goes to school in Tenbury Wells which was very badly hit and constantly on the TV along with the poor folks in Yorkshire. What utterly amazed me was the speed at which small, teeny tiny streams became raging torrents. We could not get into town and the school was closed and used as a refuge centre.

The atmosphere in the town was a bit surreal afterwards, people cleaning up after the waters had gone were all pulling together and jolly, but it was a bit quiet as well, like a morning after a really heavy night. The bridge was closed until it could be assessed so there was hardly any traffic, so the only noise was from the fire engines pumping out all the cellars in the high street.

And now there is torrential rain yet again.

In a small sunny break in the weather this week I went next door and harvested the lavender. The house is empty and the owner is ok about it but I still felt a bit 'naughty'. The bunches are now hanging in the conservatory and drying nicely.

Two of the shops to be stranded in the flood were my charity shops! The Sue Ryder is closed but the Hospice fared slightly better and was open for business yesterday - well I had to buy something didn't I? To show my support. A lovely bit of lace, two egg cups, a book, a pair of shoes and this little chap.


I must now get on with some housework so that this afternoon I can sit and sew - some faces I think are badly needed around here!




9 comments:

  1. Who'd have thought when you posted on 12th June that these dreadful floods were imminent? Your beautiful photos of poppies are such a contrast to the flood picture today. Glad you and yours are safe and well, and that you're managing to keep normal life going...including charity shopping. Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain, rain go away
    Come again another day!

    Isn't it just too much now. Enough is enough. Time for some sun.

    I don't think you need to feel guilty over the lavender. You've rescued it, after all!

    What a relief there was still a charity shop to visit!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all the elements I think rain whilst very necessary can also be the most damaging - as we have seen. I feel so sorry for those poor people who were flooded out. Though I'm glad to hear that you were not directly affected. Very pretty lavender - my favourite

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're managing to stay dry. Isn't the weather so odd. We're having flooding in the middle of the US also, but here in the midwest we're dry as a bone and everything is turning brown. I hope things will dry up there soon too. Maybe in a hundred years weathermen will figure out how to evenly disperse water over the planet. LOL. Your lavender is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that you are safe and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet the lavender smells heavenly!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope the flood stays away! I haven't got any e-mails.... please, do, try again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The floods have been dreadful haven't they? I'm in Sheffield but happily in the high area near the Peak District. My eldest son and his wife are between Catcliffe and the River Rother but fortunately on high ground so although they were living on an island and were without power for three days they weren't flooded. Scary stuff though. The river where the young boy was swept away is near to where we are, it's very fast running and can change from a pleasant, quiet and shallow river into a raging torrent in a very short time. Glad you escaped unscathed anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're getting too much rain over there and we're getting too little. If only we could split the weather! Your lavender looks lovely. ♥

    ReplyDelete