Sunday 3 June 2007

Blogosphere is missing something

Smell! If only I could show you how good these smell. Old old roses from years ago, planted by the first owner of this house. Every year I think I will replace them - they are in the way and quite ugly much of the year - but come June and I remember why I don't. The scent is pure heaven.









On the other hand though, as far as smelli-blogs go, I would not inflict the smell of my comfrey tea on anyone! I keep chopping them down and they keep growing, just to make an evil brew which the tomatoes love




Pooo - what a whiff!









I was up early taking photos of the garden this morning, it is all so blowsy, the rain has produced abundant growth but has also spoilt many of the blooms. As well as smell I would like blogi-sound also, the hum of the bees in this bed was quite mezmerising this morning.







I posted some time ago that I was going to give up the struggle with the vegetable beds, well I am going to go more 'natural' , like my woodlandy bit at the bottom. However, I spy a nettle in the middle of this which is a little too natural methinks! I have quite enough of those at the back of my compost bins thank you very much! The fairy in quiet repose was one of a few given to me by my 'gang' on my 40th, I like to keep moving them around so they don't get bored!





I do not know if Ian is completely comfortable with the whole 'natural' look though, he came face to toe with one of the residents yesterday and got a slight shock. I think the Slow Worm was possibly less scared and slithered off discretely into a woodland geranium.

http://www.naturephoto-cz.com



13 comments:

  1. I'm jealous we do have lots of wildlife in our garden, insects galore, frogs, the occasional hedgehog and the birds keep it as busy as Heathrow but I've never seen a slow worm here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Rose is sooo beautiful (you have your very own Ugly Duckling who blossoms). Thanks for your comment. Your garden is lovely. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely wonderful - the whole garden! I really must get started on the transformation in ours. Thanks for your comment, too. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. How marvellous to have a slow worm in your garden. The roses and the poppies are lovely - as for the nettles, chop them down and add them to your compost heap, they are a great activator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful rose, I'll just have to imagine the scent. How about nettle tea?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet fairy in your garden...I can't wait till my foxglove look as pretty as yours...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have often looked at beautiful pictures like these and wished blogs had "scent-o-vision". Thanks for the pretty photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The scent of old roses are divine! Although I agree that they are pretty useless the rest of the year. I ended up replacing mine with David Austins so I could have the best of both worlds ~ old-fashioned scent and lots of blooms. Thanks for dropping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What beautiful pictures. What beautiful flowers. We can't have too many flowers here as they are either destroyed by deer or drought. Wish we had some of your weather here.

    ~~ Laura and Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, the heavenly scent of a rose makes them all worthwhile! Yours looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eeks! A snake! I wouldn't mind them half as much if they didn't always hide and then slither in front of you! We always seem to get them in our window wells (the space dug into the ground for cellar windows). Your roses are heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You garden looks magical. I would like mine to be a little more natural, and a little less manicured. I like the patch you show with the lupins and the poppies..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely pictures, it's nice to see what's going on in your garden.

    EXCITING NEWS NOW! Have you heard? I read in the paper yesterday "Vicar of Dibley star Dawn French is to star in a BBC1 drama about 19th century village life.
    The comedienne will play the lead in Lark Rise to Candleford-a ten-parter based on Flora Thompson's books-to be broadcast on Sunday nights.
    BBC1 boss Peter Fincham said he hoped it would get high ratings like 90s series The Darling Buds of May"
    I thought of you straight away! I've bought the book on your recommendation so I'd better get reading before the series starts. Can't wait.
    Gill x

    ReplyDelete