Saturday 4 August 2007

I like to shop as locally as possible. This has not been as a result of the new trend in sustainable living, traceability, air miles, carbon footprints etc, it's just how I have always done it, as did my mother and hers before her.

My fruit and veg come from a small farmshop, Richard there stocks produce as locally as possible. Milk comes from our nearest farm (which is wonderful enough to do a whole post on!). Any groceries come from a small independent grocery store in Tenbury. I try to stay out of supermarkets as I do not generally like the way they operate (~of course I do understand that others do use them, each to their own).

Today I did my meat shopping and Clive kindly let me take some photos.......

Here is Heath Farm Meats in Bagginswood (sounds like something out of 'The Shire'!) . Clive and Clare own it, they produce all the beef, lamb and pork themselves, the chickens come from another local producer, and their dad provides the eggs. The 'shop' is in the farmyard and opens 4 days a week. Nothing is too much trouble for these lovely people and their meat is superb. They take their animals to the abbatoir one or two at a time and send them off with as little stress as possible, this improves the texture of the meat.

It's nice to pull up a chair and have a natter while they are preparing your meat, it makes an occasion out of shopping.


This is the rebatched soap (well some of it, I couldn't wait!) mentioned in my last post. It is very, very easy to make. I got the recipe from Rhonda at Down to Earth. I have been really impressed with this lady's blog, lots of sensible thinking going on over there! Anyway here is the post soap

They look a little 'rough' but I like them. I used lavender oil and next time I shall use more because the scent is not that strong. The hearts were cut using a biscuit cutter. I have some nice cellophane bags and ribbon so later in the year I will be making Christmas presents!

Another blog I have discovered recently is bean-sprouts, I like this girls attitude! One day I shall keep bees and her accounts of bee keeping have had me in stitches.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.

12 comments:

  1. What a delight it is to armchair travel by reading your blog. Loved seeing your local meat market. Everything effects nutrition and the quality of treatment of the animals is so important on so many levels. I like the local connections you have mentioned that provide your food. That is true community.
    How interesting to see your finished soap. I missed the story behind the soap. Handmade soap is such an affordable luxury.
    Enjoyed visiting as always.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra,

    The soap looks lovely!

    Do you know, as a vegetarian, a lot of people think it is taboo to mention 'meat' to me, but I fully appreciate other people's choices - and what I do appreciate most of all is exactly what you have just covered in your post; honest and fair producers of meat. If only everyone shopped as you do; it would certainly be a better - and healthier - world.

    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind comments about Bean Sprouts. And I'm glad that my bee traumas have been amusing to you. I'll have you know my leg is still black and blue where the I was stung three times in one place through the only chink in my armour. Doc Martens - very stylish, but not beeproof.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandra, thanks for visiting. How nice to read about your local shopping,it must be far more enjoyable than trudging around Tesco's! I think if I had a farm shop nearby I'd certainly consider buying more local produce; and the idea of an allotment is very appealing (but how would I fit that in too??)
    Gillx
    Hope the sunshine is making life more pleasant for everyone in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in the U.S. we have so many supermarkets and mega-stores that it's hard to shop at small independent markets without driving forever to get to them. I love the small markets and stores I've encountered in England. It really does make the experience more pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for visitng my blog and for your kind words. Your soap looks really good! You need to add a fair bit of fragrant or essential oil to give it a good frangrance.

    I look forward to browsing through your blog. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sandra - I love this post and thanks for the link to Rhonda Jean's blog, it's just lovely. Think I will be making some soap very soon....I'm very impressed with yours...off to buy my Lux flakes!

    Jane
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not surprised that you like to shop locally when there is so much lovliness on offer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The soaps look great -- what fine Christmas gifts they'll make!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandra - I'm vegetarian but the description and pics of your local butcher were so interesting I quite enjoyed it!
    I grow a lot of my Summer vegs. and buy more at a local farm stand along with local cheeses, all so much better than what supermarkets here offer. For other items I frequent Whole Foods - a large US food chain which is expensive but excellent.
    Lucky the folks who will receive gifts of your pretty soap - I must go back and read about it more.

    Glad the English weather has improved - my cousin in Teignmouth said they were at last able to have a barbecue on Sat., first this "Summer"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting post, my organic meat all comes from a farm in Derbyshire delivered by one of the staff who happens to live nearby. I wish we had a weekly Farmer's Market here, it's only once a month which isn't enough for regular shopping. My DIL has found a good organic box scheme though so I'm going to try that.
    I've followed your link to Rhonda Jean and it's a really interesting blog so thank you for passing it on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please tell me where I can buy some of your lovely soap and one of your smelly teddies,
    Kat =^..^=

    ReplyDelete