Sunday 12 August 2007

O Dear, back to work today after a wonderful week off. We didn't go away, just days out, but what beautiful days they were. After Aberdovey we went to the Stiperstones to pick Whinberries.



Now you may have gathered that I do not like my photo being taken, but Ian managed to catch me with my bottom in the air! Click on the photo for a lovely view = ha! ha!



Whinberries (Bilberries) quite simply make the most delicious pie. They are small, fiddly and take an age to pick, but in this sort of surrounding that is ok.





Back home I sorted out all the little bits of twig and dried leaf, and found I had enough for 2 pies and one crumble. As a kiddie I loved to stick my tongue out after eating pie as it turns purple for a while!





I am soooo pleased to have been given this award by Gill at Lucy Locket.

Started by Bella-Enchanted, the award is to be "awarded to those that are just nice people , good blog friends and those that inspire good feelings and inspiration! Those that care about others that are there to lend support or those that are just a positive influence in our blogging world". Thank you so much Gill for thinking of me, and I agree with you in that I am also in awe of many blogs I have found in recent months, there really are some inspirational, kind and lovely ladies out there.






The following 7 blogs are being awarded the 'Nice Matters Award' by me. I only wish I could choose more!


Deb

Rhonda

Kelly

Ruth

Rowan

Rosevintage

and
Rubyred



These ladies all have lovely blogs for different reasons, be they gardening, craft, thrift or interesting hobbies, but as well as this they are all nice people, I visit frequently!

16 comments:

  1. Thankyou so much for adding me to this list. Silly me though, I clicked on 'Ruth' to look at the blog belonging to another person with my name only to find it was me!! Surprise! I am reading Mary Webb's 'Seven for a Secret' at the mo - have you read it? It is full of even more Shropshire dialect and many words I've never heard before. I can recommend you read it if you haven't. I always enjoy reading your posts.
    Ruth, OSV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on receiving your award!

    I do love that picture of the scenery where you're picking berries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Location location location! Wow what a great place to be caught with your bum in the air. Have a slice of pie for me (with cream)
    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello Shropshire Girl. Thank you for the nomination. And thank you also for visiting my blog and commenting. I love getting feedback as it helps me decide what to write about.

    There are some lovely shots here. I'll be back to look around some more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your award and thank you for passing it on to me:) The big drawback about bilberry picking is the colour of your hands and finger nails afterwards! Not to mention the purple tongue after eating them. I'm hoping to go and get more at some stage so that I can make a couple of pies. Not today though - it's raining again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi shropshire girl congrats on your award, tell Ian nice photos.... save me some pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandra, thanks for including me ~ you are very sweet! and I thank you for all the lovely and encouraging comments you leave me.
    Congratulations on your own award, it is well deserved!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your award.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those bilberries look delicious. I love picking fruit!! Congrats on your award - it's well deserved
    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are bilberries like blueberries over here? We've been making lots of desserts with "blues" as they are in season and inexpensive right now. Blueberry cobbler, blueberry "Melt in your Mouth" coffee cake, and of course blueberry pancakes. They do turn one's tongue blue for a while but they are soooo good! Very healthy too.
    Gorgeous scenery - can't wait to get over in Oct. and see my beautiful Devon - just hope it will be dry by then!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the award!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I do really enjoy my grain grinder. I had to save for a while before I bought one because you are right they are expensive. On thing I did look for was one that would grind the most "things" without a lot of fancy attachments.

    My suggestion would be to search around and make sure you can find grains and things with no problem and then go from there.

    For us it was a worthwhile investment (and wait) because we really enjoy the breads and desserts made with whole grains.

    I'm off to look up Bilberries, but I do want to add -- we love fruit crumbles! I baked an apple crumble on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And may we say what a fine looking bottom it is? So funny -- would never have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it! Enjoy your pie and Congratulations on your award -- you're a more than deserving very NICE blogger!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. DearSandra,thankyou so much for the gorgeous smelly teddy,it's gorgeous,of course you should sell them,e mail me your postal address and I'll send you a little thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In Yorkshire we always called these by their common name Bilberries but down here in Somerset they're known as Wortleberries

    ReplyDelete
  15. The view is so beautiful. It reminds me of where I grew up in northern Maine (Aroostook County) in the U.S. near New Brunswick, Canada. And you are the perfect "reference point" for scale as you look so tiny! Really!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The other thing you need to separate from whinberries is rabbit droppings!

    ReplyDelete