Sunday 26 August 2007

Shrewsbury

The summer holidays will soon be at an end and already there is a hint of autumn in the air, especially in the mornings, yesterday was quite misty until the sun burnt through. Hopefully we will have an Indian Summer through September, I think we need one after the wet summer.

Finding time to blog is difficult ~ and I often find that I have forgotten to take the camera with me on our days out! On Thursday I went with daughter number 2 to Shrewsbury for a day out. We let the train take the strain - only a 1/2 hour journey - and spent a really enjoyable time together. She is getting serious one to one at the moment with daughter number one on holiday in Paris.

As you can see, Shrewsbury is well worth a visit, although too much to see in one day with a wonderful Abbey (do any of you remember the Cadfael series on TV?), Castle, Museums, a gorgeous park and some smashing shops.



The photo above is of Castle Street, the walk up into town from the station, it's only a couple of minutes.



This is Grope Lane (I think were the Butchers used to trade), there's a Fish Street as well - one can't imagine how smelly these places would have been in medieval days!



Above photos from http://www.pbase.com/
One of the main shopping areas. Just along from here was the cafe we went to for lunch. It was very 'Victorian' with flowery wallpaper, a dresser full of china knick knacks, lacy table cloths and pretty pictures. The food was not so dainty - a chicken tikka baguette for daughter and a BLT for me, together with a pint of coke each!!
On our way to lunch I suggested I showed her the oldest building known as Bear Steps (1300's). It is now a little gallery and tea rooms. I was very pleased to discover that they had an exhibition taking place by the Shrewsbury Spinners and Weavers. Lunch was slightly delayed whilst I had a brief chat with the ladies, and purchased a drop spindle from them for £2.50.

Above is the Bear Steps front and back.

One place we did not have time to visit was the Dingle. The Dingle. set in the park is a 'quarry' which many years ago was turned into a spectacular floral garden. This is a picture taken in Spring but it is an amazing place year round


Alas on our way back to the train station I noticed a shop that stocks Cath Kidston, I think a return visit is necessary.


So anyway, today I got the drop spindle out and had a go, amazingly I managed to produce a passable yarn - finer than I can on my Ashford for sure! Daughter 2 took this 'action' shot.




































19 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the pictures and the description of your day out so much! I never saw the Cadfael TV series, but my husband and I read one of the books (so I was thinking Cadfael before you even mentioned it!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shrewsbury is a lovely town and just jam-packed with history, I was there many years ago when the Cadfael herb garden (was it called the Cadfael Experience?) was still open and that was great. I was so disappointed when I found it had closed down. The old black and white building are wonderful though, I really must pay a return visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful photos! I do remember Cadfael on our PBS station over here. Your photos remind me somewhat of The Shambles in York. Such tiny, crooked little alley ways - love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks a gorgeous place,well worth a visit,
    I trhink it's amazing you can spin !!!! I'd love a go but would probably end up tied up to the wheel !!!!
    Kat x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so many years since I went to Shrewsbury (probably 1960) that I don't remember it and feel it's certainly time for a return visit. It looks very much my kind of place.

    Glad you had such a good day.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been to Shrewsbury, and had lunch at the Bear Steps cafe!! It certainly is a beautiful city, I just loved it. DH and I enjoy British shows, but I've never heard of the Cadfael series. Congrats on the success of your first drop spindle!! Spinning is on my list of things I want to do one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I am leaving Yorkshire in the morning to stay in a B&B just outside Ironbridge. I wanted to visit Shrewsbury - is it easier to go on the train (from Ironbridge??) or is parking OK. It looks wonderful - can't wait. Grope lane is the same as the Shambles in York. We can only get B&B for two nights so thought we would try Shrewsbury for Friday, maybe Sat night - any suggestions?
    Alchamillamolly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you - just checked befroe we left - Shropshire here we come - please make the sun shine!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always think of Shrewsbury as a feast for the eyes - whichever way you turn there is something interesting to see. I love all the old buildings and shops as you walk towards the English bridge from the town, Rowley's House Museum and the river side walk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful! I love those little medieval towns -- thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness a proper medieval lady "spinning" her own yarn. How lucky you are living so close to Shrewsbury it is such a beautiful town. Years ago we used to stop just outside on the way into Wales at Rowton Castle for afternoon tea. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing these photos. My family all enjoyed them.

    I can't spin fine yarn on my wheel, no matter how hard I try. Maybe I should invest in a drop spindle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shrewsbury is such a lovely town but just how do you say that name I hear it pronounced as Shrewsbury (like the animal shrew) & Shrowsbury, would love to know how the Shrohpshire people pronounce it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shrewsbury is a lovely place, a place I would love someday to visit... Your photos are so lovely and it all sounds so wonderful...

    Smiles...

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful timbered buildings - some remind me of Dartmouth and I'll be visiting there when home in Devon next month - can't wait!

    Meanwhile I've tagged you so please visit my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, just a comment to ask are you still here & OK? It's been a couple of weeks & I just like to check!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with Angel Jem and just checking in. Hope all is going well with you and that everything is ok! Missing your beautiful posts! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely day out. I have never visited Shrewsbury, but I will add it to my list for the future.

    I was watching Cadfael on TV quite recently, so it is interesting to see where it was filmed.

    Marie x

    ReplyDelete