Thursday 10 May 2007

Red White & Blue

My gorgeous red hawthorn.....


White 'Jersey Cream' clematis........................



My Ceonothus, badly damaged by weight of snow this year but recovered well.


The lovely Gill at Lucy Locket has tagged me for 7 Weird things, I shall have to have a think about this as I am a very ordinary person. Gill I shall put my thinking cap on right now!


Last night I went to my first meeting of our WI. Now my daughters think I really am having a mid life crisis- clogging, blogging and now Jam and Jerusalem too. At the tender age of 44 I enjoy the more senior ladies calling me and my friend Cath 'the young ones' hee hee! We had a very enjoyable time with 'show and tell'. Believe me the standard of craft work there was excellent, from ceramics, lace, knitting, crochet, painting, quilting to smocking, baking and preserves. A judge came to give a very informative talk on show standards and now we are fired up for some competitions.


Every month there is 'a flower of the month' competition, whereby ladies bring a flower and there is a 1st, 2nd and 3rd gaining 3, 2 and 1 points respectively. At the end of the year the one with the most points gets a prize. (I came second last night with a sprig of the hawthorn pictured above)




This is a little postcard found in a little beyond help frame in - you guessed it - the Hospice Charity shop. I bought it for 20p, cleaned it up and put it in a new fram, it is so cute, you can't really tell unless you enlarge the photo, but it is printed to look like embroidery, very realistic at first glance.

8 comments:

  1. Well do you know, I was talking to some friends about joining the WI, they're such a great organisation and form the backbone of Britain in my opinion!
    I think they need to be trying to attract more younger members to ensure the survival of the organisation. I don't see much publicity and I do feel the WI has the image of being very "middle class" and maybe wouldn't welcome someone like me. My mum was a member for a few years and I went along with her when I was visiting her. They have such interesting speakers and the standard of their produce and crafts is very high. Keep us posted on what you get up to!
    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the little postcard. Of all the crafts that are "coming back" I haven't seen much crewel. Maybe your little postcard will start something. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I just wanted to come by and say thank you for visiting my blog today. I've been reading through all of yours and I love it. I love your flowers and I really enjoy the fact that you are in England. That's our favorite place to go for vacations when we can afford the plane fare. The flowers over there are just so beautiful.

    Anyway, it's nice to "meet" you and welcome to blogging. It's a fun experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden looks lovely and I do like the poem on the postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just noticed your favourite books. Top of the list is Precious Bane which I have ordered as I need to read it for my reading group. Whilst I am waiting for it I am rereading her Gone to Earth which I read as a teenager many... years ago. I also love Lark Rise to Candleford which I must also re-read sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A 3rd post - sorry. Was St Agnes' Stand the gruesome one about the nuns and the cowboy? I don't know of Margaret Lawrence but as we seem to like the same books I shall look her up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of the WI, so Jam and Jerusalem to other people, but I think there's a will of steel there. Any group who could object so politely to a political speech instead of the frilly one they expected must have a sense of humour.... well, what did they expect asking a politician to talk?
    But back to your post...
    Is it necessary to have a midlife crisis to join the WI? I think it sounds cracking 7 i hope you'll tell us more.
    On another note, we've booked a cottage in Shropshire this holiday.... so looking forward to dragging them around Mary Webb's country. It's in a place called English Frankton, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your hawthorn photo! And that framed postcard for 20p ~ amazing, and so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete