Monday 2 April 2007

Daffodils



Another beautiful spring day here in Shropshire, our Easter daffodil Cross is looking splendid, although the photo is a little hazy and does not do it justice. On Saturday I bought the collected works of John Clare for 50p. I love his poetry and a school friend of mine married a descendent of his. Whilst browsing through the book I found these few lines.





The Sunshine bathes in clouds of many hues


And mornings feet are gemmed with early dews


Warm Daffodils about the garden beds


Peep thro their pale slim leaves their golden heads




He was writing in the first part of the 19th Century, and this poem is entitled 'MAY' !!! How the seasons have changed, poor John Clare would not recognise our weather patterns now.


2 comments:

  1. Your blog is just DELIGHTFUL! I love the daffodil cross! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today and posting. I hope you don't mind if I add you to my favorites, as I will be certain to visit your blog again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring is certainly here, although I think lots of the insects around think its Summer! The seasons are really muddled! Thanks for the lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete