Tuesday 10 April 2007

Decisions

I had a wonderful Easter break with visits to garden centres, farm shops and car boots - I managed to find time to get in the garden, and I finished painting my shelves as you can see.






I have had some time to think as well and I have decided that I must stop trying to be a superwoman and accept that I can no longer do as much as I could. Two years ago this May I had major surgery (and a dreadful few months). The energy has not come back as I had hoped it would, so somethings have got to give. I have reduced my working hours, (by changing my job) and I have come to the reluctant decision to give up my allotment and also grass over my vegetable garden at home. Hopefully one day I will feel better, who knows? In the meantime I must be kinder to myself rather than beat myself up about it all.



On a more cheerful note, here are two photos of all the things I have bought from my local hospice charity shop in the last month. I boiled the pillowcase which was very grubby and yellow, it came up snowy white but as you can see I had not ironed it yet! (20p), likewise I boiled the table cloth, it is so pretty (50p), a paperweight which I altered (50p), a lovely 'scoop' (what are they called??) for sweeping the table (£2). The picture was £2. I will take photos of this weekends car boot finds for the next post.



10 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful treasures! I do love the pillowcase! I figured the math quickly in my head and realized you only spent about $10 for all those goodies - WOW! The picture is just gorgeous!
    Do take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You picked up some treasures, lucky you! That's what I love about thrifting, you never know what you might find, I get such a buzz from picking up something I want for 50p when I know it costs much much more in the shops.
    The shelf looks great.
    I know what you mean about trying to be Superwoman, we women tend to do it, me included. I decided a couple of years ago that I can't do it all, so housework has had to become less important. I do the important stuff (clean loos daily, keep kitchen clean etc), but I don't beat myself up if the living room looks a bit dusty. I've had to get over the guilt at being a less than perfect housewife, but it's pretty easy really! Pointing out to husband that's it's not MY mess but OUR mess caused a few ripples but he got the hang of it in the end and now runs the hoover round without being asked..only took 23 years to get him trained up.....
    Love your blog, looking forward to more. Thanks for your comments on mine. Take care of yourself
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen looks so pretty, and the shelves look great. Sounds like you had a nice vacation, and what great treasures!
    We do push ourselves to do it all, but it's good to realize our limits, as hard as it may be.
    Take care,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely treasures and lovely blog!You are so right when you say you should be kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely treasures you found there! Is that the secret to bring vintage fabrics to life - boiling them? What do you put in the water when you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to know where to draw the line in what we can reasonably accomplish with our time given the circumstances of our own lives. It's a shame that you've had to give up your gardens, but better than that beat yourself up because you set your sights unreasonably high.

    I hope that you health recovers soon and that you can go back to doing the things you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there - what lovely treasures. I buy old pillow cases whenever I see them - they are so much better than "today's". Lovely blog - will visit again. Mary.
    PS I know what you mean about doing too much. I believe very much in the saying 'we pass this way but once... so make time to smell the flowers'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sandra

    So what's in your Lark Rise to Candleford collection? I loved that book. The bluebell cup and saucer are so sweet, and your shopping expedition certainly didn't cost you a mortgage. Well done!

    Sorry to hear you have to give up the allotment and slow down, but health comes first, so take things gently.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post, I can so identify with your concerns about slowing down a bit, I think it's something we have to learn. I also have been ill, when it's forced sometimes there's an inclination to fight it, but I'm trying to embrace it and enjoy pottering round. I'm trying to remember that life is about experiences, which I think blogs give us the wonderful opportunity to share. Wishing you well, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete