Thursday 12 April 2007

Lark Rise to Candleford

I have been asked about my Lark Rise To Candleford collection so thought I would do a post on my favourite book.

Flora Thompson was born in 1874 and Lark Rise tells of life in a small Oxfordshire hamlet in the 1880's. The book she wrote about rural life in the 1880's is so special on a number of levels. It describes social history for the agricultural class, by someone who was a keen observer of the little things. It is written in a wistful, but not sentimental fashion, and is VERY readable. The turn of the seasons and the traditions (including the slaughter of the pig every year) are very well documented also.

Flora is 'Laura' in the book (I named my eldest Laura - I wanted Flora but husband said she was not to be called after a spread!) Her beloved brother Edwin became Edmund. Flora I believe had a somewhat melancholy life, Edwin was lost during WW1 and her son Peter in WW2, she never got over Peters death and her heart failed in 1947.


My collections consists of the Royal Grafton commerative plates, various books (here is a sample) and the Lark Rise Portfolio of 12 prints. Caverswall did various thimbles and china pieces which I am on the look out for, and there is also a series of houses (The End House, The Post Office) which are a bit like Lilliput Lane houses - haven't got any of those either (yet).

Here is an extract. I read Lark Rise for the first time at around 14 years of age, and being an old fashioned country girl myself this inspired me to be one of those skillful women!

In nearly all the cottages there was but one room downstairs, and many of these were poor and bare, with only a table and a few chairs and stools for furniture and a superannuated potato-sack thrown down by way of heathrug. Other rooms were bright and cosy, with dressers of crockery, cushioned chairs, pictures on the walls and brightly coloured hand-made rugs on the floor. In these there would be pots of geraniums, fuchsias, and old fashioned sweet-smelling musk on the windowsills.
The interiors varied, according to the number of mouths to be fed and the thrift and skill of the housewife, or the lack of those qualities, but the income in all was precisely the same, for ten shillings a week was the standard wage of the farm labourer at that time in that district.

And just to leave you with a crafty finish - I am still Trollen, it's getting longer, I don't know exactly how long she needs it, so will just carry on till the end of the skeins!

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful theme to start a collection around! I think I need to find the books now, as they sound fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again - thank you for your comments on my blog. I am intrigued by your post and now want to find some of these books to read more. Thank You for sharing. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must find my book and re-read it, although I think maybe Mum has it. Still, as she's next door I won't have to go far for it!

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. The coat is a fair weight, but I worked it in acrylic which was all I could afford at the time. I'll do a further post asap as there's a little story attached to it!

    It's been a determined effort to lose some weight prior to my daughter's wedding on 5 May. I'm so pleased with my achievement so far and who knows, I might even get into the coat!!!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realise there was a biography of Flora Thompson, must see if the library can get it for me,it looks interesting. Have you seen the Lark Rise Recipe Book and Cook's Note book that M & S did years ago? It has some good recipes in it - all old-fashioned country type stuff, not intended for those on diets - dripping cake for instance and jam roly poly. My mum used to make that but using golden syrup instead of jam. Fattening but yummy:) Last time I drove to Sussex I passed a signpost saying Juniper Hill single track road. I think next month when I go again I shall follow it and see what Flora's village is like now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sandra, Do you know, I've never actually read it, but having just read the small extract it has made me want to! I will look out for a copy and make it my Spring read! Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just discovered your blog and read (and enjoyed) all your posts. I, too, read this book when I was about 14 (before you were, I hasten to add!)and loved it. I must re-read it too. I'll call by again.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recommendation! I love to read and this sounds very good.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the red spotted edition of Lark Rise - it is a lovely book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sandra,
    thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment.

    I don't know if I'd have been brave enough to pick up the coffee table either....you can bet some officious bloke would be waiting to catch me. But it's the sort of thing you can find at boot sales so keep your eyes peeled. A coat of paint works wonders, I was going to dump my table too! My Husband says it looks like a Laura Ashley piece now and that's fine by me as I'd buy all my furniture in there if I could...sadly my budget doesn't stretch that far!
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate to admit it but I've never read the book, even though I have heard so much about it!

    Believe me, it is going on my list right now. :)

    ReplyDelete